Creating an Inclusive Classroom
Teaching in an environment that facilitates the learning of all students is
a goal of most instructors. Creating such an inclusive classroom can be a challenge
because many instructors have received little training or education in diversity-related
To help with these efforts, the Teaching Engagement Program can help with any needs you might have including:
- Integrate diverse perspectives into the syllabus.
- Create a classroom community in which all students feel included and involved.
- Present course material in a way that accommodates different learning styles.
- Prepare a class for the discussion of controversial issues.
- Facilitate class discussions of topics that might become heated.
- Structure small group work so that all students have a meaningful experience.
Generally, we can also provide information on the following topics:
- Today's college students
- Issues related to gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, class, ability, and religion
- Issues related to power and privilege in the classroom
- General classroom issues related to learning and teaching
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment.